livingontheland - [Livingontheland] pasture building question

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <aliza@jeffnet.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] pasture building question
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:17:29 -0700

I am requesting information for a lady with mini horses - so cute you cant even imagine

Okay - she has been spraying her fields with a broad leaf herbicide and using synths (at least she got a soil sample done though) and is wanting to know why her fields are so poor still.  I explained a bit about soil biology.  Unfortunately she is also downfield from a conventional orchard.

She wants to do this a little at a time so here is what I suggested - greensand, rock phosphate, pasture rotation, and an application of soil probiotics (I forget the name of the one we have easily available here)  I also recommended mowing the pasture.  Of course adding chickens, sheep, or goats to the rotation would be most helpful but she is not going there:o)  She doesnt really want a high protein lush pasture because her ponies are already fat but she would like a healthier pasture.  Other then an application of appropriate organic fertilizer in the spring what other EASY things can she do to enliven her fields - its about 3 1/2 acres total.

Aliza

Aliza Vanderlip
SomeKindaWonderfulFarm
Sumptuous Goats Milk Soaps made with Organic and Fair Trade Oils
Registered Nubian Goats
Registered Cormo, Registered Australian Bond
Registered Finn Sheep & Colored Crosses
German Angora Rabbits and Colored Hybrids