livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Farm Aid's Family Farm Disaster Fund

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Farm Aid's Family Farm Disaster Fund
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:20:44 -0600

Farm Aid's Family Farm Disaster Fund
http://www.nofa.org/

The most recent disaster we are responding to is the recent flooding and
heavy rains in the Northeast. The weather has done serious crop and farm
damage. Farm Aid responded quickly with emergency resources to support
family farmers. We channeled emergency assistance to local relief
efforts in New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont, delivering $20,000 in
disaster-relief funds.

About the Family Farm Disaster Fund

The Family Farm Disaster Fund was established by Farm Aid to help farm
families survive weather-related disasters. Right now we are working
with farmers across the country who have been hurt by natural disasters
such as flooding, drought and hurricanes. These farm families have lost
their homes, their farms and maybe their whole way of life. Farm Aid is
helping keep them on their land and in their homes by:

1. Providing emergency funds for families to allow them to buy food and
cover family living expenses. Through churches and service agencies
operating in the region, FARM AID ensures that the money goes to farm
families most in need.

2. Supporting emergency hotlines which provide legal, financial and
emotional counseling to struggling farmers.

3. Providing legal and financial counseling to farmers in danger of
losing their farms. When farmers need help to avoid foreclosure due to
losses from natural disasters, FARM AID funded groups are there to help
them save their farm.

4. Sponsoring crisis prevention programs in disaster stricken states.
Through workshops and public meetings, FARM AID-funded groups educate
farmers about available disaster assistance in each state.

  • [Livingontheland] Farm Aid's Family Farm Disaster Fund, TradingPostPaul, 08/11/2006