livingontheland - [Livingontheland] finding local varieties

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dianne Palmer-Quay <R_DQuay@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] finding local varieties
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:27:19 -0400

Norma,

Can you locate a seed company that is in your general area? I am in SC and
buy a lot of seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange since they focus on
seeds for the Mid-Atlantic region. Of course I am a little further south,
but generally the varieties work well. I buy some seeds from companies in
other parts of the country, but choose the varieties carefully. The key
challanges I have here are: 1) a short cool season with large fluxuations
in daytime/nighttime temps and 2) very hot and humid summer season.
Consequently I look for hardy, fast growing cool weather crops and heat
tolerant warm weather crops. I also pay attention to catalogs that tell me
the best latitudes for the varieties (this espcially pertains to onions and
corn). Check the same variety in several catalogs as well. Some write-ups
are much more informative with disease resistance, germination times, etc.

Dianne in the midlands of SC (where it is monsoon season right now - hot,
humid days and thunderstorms every afternoon. My clothes keep on getting
an extra rinse!)