livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "Small Farm Extermination"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Cheri Shelnutt <cshel4@adelphia.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "Small Farm Extermination"
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 06:39:51 -0400

A lot of the problem is legislation....for instance, in my state I am not allowed to legally sell my raw milk (goat or cow) my cheese or any other dairy product....I am not allowed to sell any canned good, jams etc. unless I hauled it all to a certified community kitchen (which I paid $16 per hour to rent) and processed it all there, I can't even sell you a bag of lettuce if I close it off with a twist tie to keep it clean on your trip home - then it has become a processed food and must be inspected by the USDA....I am being legislated right out of farming....and I am most certainly aware that none of this is accidental.
Cheri
TN