livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till cotton

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till cotton
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:32:58 -0500

Hi Alan,

Beds that you have built up with compost and mulched and have them real soft
will be fine. You can pull the old plants and use them for mulch but you
can't do that in a 40 acre cotton field. Can you imagine cotton stalks waist
high that have stood all winter and you are planning on going in and
replanting another crop? Imagine how hard the ground would get if it wasn't
plowed up once and a while. I know as absolute fact no row crop does as good
as it should if you don't plow it a couple of times with a cultivator.

Can you imagine trying to run a cotton picker through a field with last
years stalks still standing? You couldn't do it. They have got to be
knocking the stalks down and chopping them up some way. I'll put it this
way, I couldn't do it and even if I could I wouldn't abuse my soil that way.

Art