livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] power tools & bought inputs/ Wheat is the newoil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] power tools & bought inputs/ Wheat is the newoil
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:29:54 +0000

One thing that is right at the top of my list is putting together an energy
source that will supply electricity to run my entire place including a
couple of hot houses for fresh winter veggies. ~Art

Art, why do you need electricity to run hot houses in Arkansas? I'm way north of you (northern VA, zone 6b), and I grow salads and cooking greens and other cold-hardy crops in my 20x48 ft hoophouse right thru the winter without any added heat.

Or do you need the electricicy to inflate a double plastic skin on the greenhouse? Come to think of it, I do have electricity out there for that purpose--to run a small blower for the inflation.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us