livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] more on root cellars

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] more on root cellars
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:55:00 +0000

(I don't have much luck with later plantings of winter
squash - the squash bugs share diseases and the borers eat their way up the
stems!). ~Diane in SC

I notice you have chickens, Diane. How 'bout guineas? I use guineas for 100% effective, 100% organic control of squash bug: I place a simple A-frame pasture shelter in the winter squash plot and throw an electric net fence around the entire plot. (Electronet is a fundamental tool in my management of poultry.) When I see the first squash bug (usually about the time the first blossoms appear), I put in the guineas. Only a few are needed--I have only 3 at the moment.

Guineas work in this assignment where chickens would not. Chickens with their ceaseless scratching would destroy the plot. Guineas are not great scratchers--they'll scratch out a little place to dust-bathe, but leave the plants alone.

This system really does provide 100% control of SB--I've been using it so many years now I've lost count. (I guess the guineas control the winged phase of the borers as well, since I rarely have a problem with them.)

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us