livingontheland - [Livingontheland] more on root cellars

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dianne Palmer-Quay <R_DQuay@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] more on root cellars
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:38:26 -0400

Thanks Harvey for your input. In SC, many of the "fall" harvest crops are
already in. I have 70 or so pounds of potatoes under the house from the
mid July harvest and a dozen or so "winter" squash (which I will not move
into the air conditioned, and therefore less humid, house based on your
comments. These crops need storage in SC just when the temps are heating
up, not cooling down (I don't have much luck with later plantings of winter
squash - the squash bugs share diseases and the borers eat their way up the
stems!). I'd rather not fill the freezer with things that can be stored
whole - if I can find a workable way of doing it.

Dianne in the middle of SC (right on the line between zones 7 and 8)

PS. We like your idea of feeding maggots and are brainstorming on how to
make it possible for our chickens.