livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Broody Hens and blueberry from seed update

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: chaogrrl <chaogrrl@yahoo.com>
  • To: Livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Broody Hens and blueberry from seed update
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:14:02 -0700 (PDT)

I started with Auraucana hens (blue green eggs) and banty
roosters. They're all free range, and most all my hens are
broody, 8 out of 10 anyway, with varying degrees of
success. At last count I had 43 baby chicks...one batch of
19 that was sat on and is being mothered by 2 first year
hens! Certainly never had that happen before, but its a joy
to watch. I also have several hens that jump off the nest
when the first chick hatches, so have hens running around
with just one chick. When culling time comes it'll be first
the roosters except for a couple of the best, then hens
that didn't set, then the one chick wonders.

I figured I was due for some genetic diversity, and also my
chickens seemed to be decreasing in stature a little every
generation, due to the banty blood I suppose, so this year
I bought some Buff Orpington and Australorp pullets. We'll
see how they work out.

Back last spring on the old list I mentioned that I was
going to try starting some blueberry from seed according to
the instructions at
http://wildblueberries.maine.edu/PDFs/Miscellaneous/BlueberriesFromSeed.pdf

Germination and early growth was very slow but I'm happy to
report that I've about 40 plants ranging from 1 to 4 inches
or so high. Nother couple years or so and we'll see how the
fruit is! I'm trying to decide whether to overwinter them
in raised beds or in pots. May do half and half to hedge my
bets. I'll certainly be starting another batch next
Jan/Feb.

Laura in Wisconsin