livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Maggots for poultry feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Maggots for poultry feed
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:38:51 -0500

No, I haven't actually raised maggots this way--except by accident once or
twice. I have some friends that were doing it when I dropped by their place
once is why I mentioned it. I'll have to check with them and see if
they've had problems with limberneck. Thanks for the warning.

Truthfully, having had to deal with a couple of cases of flystrike in sheep,
raising maggots isn't high on my list of things I want to do, however much
the chickens might appreciate it. I'm far from squeamish and I'll set up a
carcass in the compost pile for them, but THEY have to go harvest the
maggots.

Claudia