livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] rabbit problem?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] rabbit problem?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:28:07 +0000

Some beast has eaten most of the leaves off my young melon plants at night

Assuming a rabbit - any suggestions short of sitting out there all night
with the dog to chase them off would be appreciated.

I have been seeing a *lot* of rabbits all over my place this season, but so far, zero damage in the garden. A big factor for me (and this seems to help with regard to deer and groundhogs as well) is that my garden area is surrounded by pasture that has a good deal of clover in it. The rabbits prefer the clover to almost anything in the garden.

Don't know if you have sufficient space around your garden, but if you do, try overseeding with clover this fall and next spring. This won't guarantee you'll never have problems with unwelcome grazers (deer and groundhogs seem to *love* sweet potato vines, and have made raids even when there was plenty of clover), but it should help a great deal in future seasons.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us