livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Johnson grass

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Johnson grass
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:01:44 -0700 (PDT)

I found the following:

That grass will push its way through heavy mulch fabric, grew up through 3 ft. of dense sawdust, can live through entire rainless California Central Valley summers, and each tiny rhizome fragment can make an entire 7ft tall plant by mid summer. Gary Matson (matson@snowcrest.net)

Johnson Grass - Low organic matter, low calcium and overworked soils.  I assume that if you increase the organic matter [a must] and go no-till, it might die out.  I read that when farmers go no-till by the end of the 3rd or 4th year, weed population is down 90%.  My experience is that it is faster than that.  I know that using 20% vingar kills weeds.  Use on a hot day. Johnson grass?  The one below says to keep it grazed  short will kill it.

May my first suggestion, move, is still correct!!!

Here is an excellant IPM info.  Organic IPM field guide /English & Spanish [SP257] attra.ncat.org/español/manejo.html  Download it or order it free on CD. Photos of bugs, etc.

Ken Hargesheimer

Go to: http://bibledvd.googlepages.com/home and www.nabuur.com

  • [Livingontheland] Johnson grass, Ken Hargesheimer, 07/15/2006