livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] chicken tractor & johnson grass

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] chicken tractor & johnson grass
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:39:16 -0500

I googled Johnson Grass first just to make sure I knew what I was talking about. Its the same stuff I have.

I had it in my wide row plot which is a parcel about 16 feet by 30 feet. Two times in one summer and two times in the next summer I got a fork and went to it pulling the stuff all out. Once in a while it half heartedly tried to come back and I pulled that little bit again. I also put leaves down over the entire bed for several winters to a depth of about 20 inches and added calcium to the bed thinking that Johnson Grass probably indicated a calcium problem. Last year I put the entire bed in rye until February. In THAT bed I don't have it anymore. I do have it in one more spot in another garden bed which is 12 feet by 150 feet. I'm still working on it there but really haven't made much of an effort at it yet. Again, I'm pulling and mulching. I make certain that bed is planted in something I can use a lot of mulch around like tomatoes, gourds, pumpkins, squash.

Not having a large farm, I can't speak to what to do if you have a field of the stuff but I can say its been my experience that bermuda/wiregrass is much harder to deal with.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins