livingontheland - [Livingontheland] chicken tractor & johnson grass

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] chicken tractor & johnson grass
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:29:01 -0700 (PDT)

In my document "Profitable Crops & Livestock Production" I write that all small livestock should be in moveable pens over permanent beds in forage.  Joe Satalin [sp] has done this for years.  His son, when about 10, began to raise rabbits this way for meat to sell to their customers.  He was raising them on grass, rather than grain.  He became known for his rabbits and demand for his breeding rabbits shot way up.  He has finished college, married and back on the farm still doing it.

One asked about Johnson grass.  The easiest solution is to move to a farm without it.  Seriously, I have never thought about this problem.  I grew up hoeing it out of the cotton but we had dairy cows so we did not want to kill it out.  No chemicals.  No-till would slow it down because plowing breaks up the roots and each piece becomes a new plant.  I admit that I am at a dead end as to what to do.  I am sure someone, somewhere, has an organic solution.  I am going to find it.  Stay tuned for chapter 2.

Ken Hargesheimer

Go to: http://bibledvd.googlepages.com/home and www.nabuur.com