livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-Till and being a closed loop farmer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-Till and being a closed loop farmer
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:07:06 -0600

That's very interesting about my area. I'd hope rye and buckwheat, maybe
vetch too, would build biomass and humus without waiting ten years for
optimum soil. I'm not familiar with the use of sorghum, and I don't know if
alfalfa is advisable for soil building. For a home and market garden with
this soil, it appears imports are needed for faster soil building, local
manures and shredded alfalfa hay for starters. But wouldn't you advise
composting these amendments for surface application rather than turning
them under and depleting existing humus?

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net