livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] organic demand outstripping supply

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: pete <pete.rout@virgin.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] organic demand outstripping supply
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:12:54 +0100

In the UK it has just been reported that organic demand is outstripping supply and we will have to import more to keep up with it. The way commerce thinks these days we will be importing from the US and the US will be importing from the UK.
The people who really need the food in places such as Africa will be exporting to us and we will send them food parcels because of their lack of food supplies.
Pete

> The number of organic farms -- an estimated 10,000
-- is also
increasing,
> but not fast enough. As a result, organic
manufacturers are looking
for
> ingredients outside the United States in places like
Europe, Bolivia,
> Venezuela and South Africa.

Interesting, here is where the two values of "organic"
vs. "sustainability" seem to collide contradictorily.

if we have to outsource to distant lands, incurring
huge diesel-fueled shipping costs for our organics,
how are we going to survive the "peak oil" event in
2012?

it's what James Howard Kunstler calls the "3000-mile
caesar salad," an eminently UNsustainable dish for the
family table, be it organic or not. there's just too
much petro in that salad, yo.

peace thru sustainability,

bobby g
http://www.burning-wheel.org