livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till info

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till info
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 11:09:30 -0400

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:13:43 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm wanting to know how people would manage self-sufficiency with green
>manures,
>whether harvest seed from such crops would/can be practical.

Mark - the people at Ecology Action (John Jeavons and crew) have published
several research booklets in this area.

I don't know if they have done research specifically on saving seed from
cover crops (compost crops), but they have done a lot of research on
self-sufficiency using compost crops. So maybe seed-saving is included.

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/shop/gb-research-papers.html

NOTE: I have no interest whatsoever in getting involved in a long
discussion (or even a short one) as to whether Jeavons' biointensive
growing is a good method, or whether double-digging is or isn't necessary.
I just happen to have a possible answer to Mark's question and I'm
answering it. Period. Full stop.

I won't discuss double-digging, or microbial inoculants, or 'Soil Secrets'
or any other kind of inoculants, or no-till vs. biointensive vs. square
foot gardening or any of that stuff. Everyone else can discuss them until
the cows come home, but I'm not answering posts on those subjects.

Pat
Blog (mainly gardening and cooking related):
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/