livingontheland - [Livingontheland] compost in france

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: David Anderson <daveandand@cox.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] compost in france
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 8:33:18 -0500

Im not what youd call an expert on composting but it has interested me
recently. I wanted to make a good pile or 2 to help in the veggie garden. Im
away from home now in france visiting relatives. All the farmers here with
livestock save and compost the manure then spread it in the fields during the
fall. It breaks down and in spring they have great crops. Im in normandy
and the crops grow really well here. They dont use raised furrows here like
they do back home in LA but the crops grow very well indeed. Is this
standard practice in Europe? It seems to be benefitting the farmers here and
they have done it for centuries according to the locals. I dont really know
what kind of herbicides and fert they also use but the fields look great here
and they are sold on the process.