livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] composted yard service grass clippings

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John Smith" <mikakigr@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] composted yard service grass clippings
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 07:27:18 +0300

Sorry Greg that you didn't like my smart ale answer. I didn't mean to wind you up. Yes, perhaps other things could have been possible but for me it was Occam's Razor. I saw straight away which was the most obvious and thought it was a no-brainer. Grass and herbicide were a strong connection because people with lawns go to some crazy lengths to have that desired green sward. Salt would not logically enter compost from green grass (but again could not be entirely ruled out) and fertiliser burn for me would not be a contender because it could be washed out again unless something really strange had happened and someone had sabotaged the compost. Sorry but given the problem it was common sense.

On 6/10/06, Greg Bell <gregbell@znet.com> wrote:
> I would have thought common sense tells you that wherever you spread
> something and all the plants die that it is poisonous.

really?  poisonous?  not salty?  or from fertilizer burn?

if discerning between the three or more possible industrial contaminants
and imbalances is 'common sense', you're much smarter than i am.

~gb