livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] composted yard service grass clippings

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] composted yard service grass clippings
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:21:23 -0700

On 6/8/06, Greg Bell <gregbell@znet.com> wrote:
> > The diagnosis was herbicide burn.
> Hi Kate,
> How did you figure that out? An expensive soil testing service or
> something more economical and clever?
> ~gb

Actually, I wasn't smart enough to think of it on my own. Having bought and
used commercial compost for years from another company, it didn't dawn on me
that the problem came from an external source. Since the worst problems were
in the new beds, I figured there was something in that area that was the
problem.

Luckily my father's 35 years of experience with the WSDA as a fruit and
vegetable inspector came in handy. He recognized herbicide burn the minute
he saw it.

I then queried the company as to their practices and sources for raw
material. The answers given helped the rest of the puzzle pieces fall into
place.

Kate