livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Goats for the rough hill

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gwen Giffen" <ggiffen@1st.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Goats for the rough hill
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 09:31:14 -0400

Bob,

What sort of goats do you have??? They can't be the same kind as mine. I have to use woven wire to keep mine in, and be very diligent with it - electric did not work for me. If there are enough brambles to keep them happy, that will also keep them in.

I am propogating wild blackberries and raspberries myself. I'm learning how to trim the first year canes for more berries the second year - and this will be my first year of seeing results in one patch. I am tired of fighting with "weeds," so figured I'd start trying to use some of them. It is a good bit cheaper than fighting with them. Having quarts of berries in my freezer has been delightful.

Gwen

Sorry I deleted in error so I don't have your name. You asked about how to take the rough off the hill. Blackberrys and poison ivy, hard too get rid of!! etc.. If the goats would do the job I would go for the goats. Fence off areas and over graze each area until it's down to where you can plant some strong cover crop that will get ahead of the rough stuff. Electric fence? Use batteries. An electric fence uses little current, batteries will last a while. You could use low cost auto 12 volt storage battery. Charge over night.

If the goats get a few weeks with the electric fence you can take the battery off for days to charge. The goats will not go near the fence, juice or no. Bob: