livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] goats, weeds and solar chargers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Amanda Peck" <ap615@hotmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] goats, weeds and solar chargers
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 22:24:47 -0500

thanks. I don't think I looked hard enough for the information. As usual I found quite a bit on-line, but not at the local farm store, where everything solar/battery seemed to be listed for horses and cattle, leaving goats pointedly off the list.

Goats really do sound like the best idea--maybe not for the privet, but certainly the poison ivy. If it had rained recently they'd even have water up there. The privet thicket has inch in diameter plants about 8" apart, and the birds distribute the seeds everywhere. The surveyers refused to go through it a couple of years ago. Guy who bush-hogged it ended up with a couple of the wheels on his tractor off the ground when he got into it. He did leave what he thought was enough of the blooming blackberries to make a few cobblers later in the summer.

The woman who has the goats could use a new way to make money--renting goats has been done other places. So it may work out. She hasn't worked with her goats much for a couple of years, so they might not stick close to her if she could spare the time to lead them around.

Then I get to start planning things like a barn, solar system, gardens. And working to improve the soil.

  • Re: [Livingontheland] goats, weeds and solar chargers, Amanda Peck, 05/26/2006