livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Peak Oil Crisis - Ethanol and Peak Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Peak Oil Crisis - Ethanol and Peak Food
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:29:16 -0500 (CDT)

The Seattle Times just published my letter to the editor in which I stressed
the point that increased ethanol production is likely to severely/negatively
impact our soil quality:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/letters/2003016779_thulets25.html
(third article down; note how scary others sound, especially the nuclear
advocate who conveniently overlooks nuclear's [huge] shortcomings)

I'm not much of a writer, but if I can do this then so should others here.
If we don't speak out in defense of the soil, who will?

NOTE: In my submission to the Seattle Times I complained about only having
200 words with which to work with: I can't say a single word without saying
five! Anyway, they were cordial and asked if I wanted to write an op-ed.
Well, this would be a first for me. Never afraid to look like a fool (and
being inspired by this group [which has made me less of a fool]) I figured
I'd accept the offer. If it gets published I'll let everyone here know.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net>

(this is about the threat to food production, not to debate the merits of
ethanol -
thanks to aelewis@provide.net - paul)

http://www.fcnp.com/612/peakoil.htm
The Peak Oil Crisis - Ethanol and Peak Food
By Tom Whipple

[snip]