livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Humus - Understanding the Soil Processes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frosted-acres@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Humus - Understanding the Soil Processes
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 06:39:50 -0700 (PDT)

Your understanding if the nutrient exchange is
correct. The only "flaw" I can see is that you have
put in a nutsehell, the main idea behind soil
chemistry!! The writers of all those "Dry" textbooks
and research papers will need to find other work!!
Your understanding is an excellent point to jump off
into a deeper understanding--

the electical bonding charge of clay is such that it
may biond with several small nutrient atoms, or they
may actually get "bumped off" ( leaching!!!) by fewer,
stronger atoms. Hydrogen ions play an important role
in this-- they affect the pH as well as the ability of
nuttrients to bond with the clay particles.

When we do soil testing, we use something to break
the bonds so that the nutrients become available to
the reagents. Any soil testing, other than temperature
done without the use of distilled water and a breaking
agent is suspect. The results will not be totally
accurate.

Terry W