livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Humus - Understanding the Soil Processes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: BT Benjaminson <btbenj@netvision.net.il>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Humus - Understanding the Soil Processes
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 05:03:51 +0200

Patricia
Besides what you see in finished compost, I think humus in the soil is the stuff that makes soil a little sticky even if the soil is made larger grain sizes than clay.

Here's my question to the list
I think that stickiness is one of the properties that keep nutrients from leaching out but still makes them chemically available to plant roots. My limited understanding of this process is that the plant nutrients are in the form of ions that carry electrical charges. These ions are weakly bonded to the surface of a microscopic clump of humus. Plant roots capture and take in the nutrients they need from the humus surface. The plant root hair puts out an ion that bonds more strongly to the nutrient than the bond it had onto the humus clump. The root hair ion captures the heart of the nutrient ion, if you will, and somehow (mysteriously to me) draws it in to the root like a bride going to her new home.

Please, anyone out there, can you correct and amplify on this? I've been carrying around this (almost certainly flawed) understanding for years and I'd just love to know more about it at a level I can understand.

Bat-Tzion
Negev, Israel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patricia Ruggiero" <ruggierop@earthlink.net>