livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 36, Issue 6

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: ferns <ferndirt@gmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 36, Issue 6
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11:56:07 -0800

hello :)

in defense of permaculture, it does not take money and years to
develop, in that it gives you sets of basic principles immediately
that make a lot of sense & will prove useful, if you are just starting
out. .. living off the land.
it is the first reference i have found to storing water in your soil
by a diverse variety of methods. i really enjoyed 'gaia's garden';
someday i might add bill mollison books to my collection. until then,
i don't have a huge reference from him, who apparently started the
idea, but he couldn't possibly take credit for all the actual ideas-
its a modern day reference point for sustainable living. i prefer to
think of permaculture as a new term for living off the land with
respect and with foresight, with the direction of sustainability..

i know some of you do not need to hear the concepts again of saving
water in the ground, composting, worm bins, forest gardens, seed
saving, planting perennials, feeding the wildlife, planting a variety
of species, being DIVERSE in all that you do, etc... but its a huge
stockpile of ideas & as my boyfriend describes, finally a term to
describe the ways he thought we should be living correctly as he grew
up,. (sustainably + efficiently + provide for wildlife)

some of the most important things i have learned have not been related
to permaculture, its true. via links from Paul, about growing soil,
humus, transforming organic matter, compost, dirt. thank you for all
the knowledge you have shared.

shannon
CAlifornia- here we tied a record set in 1982 for the most rain in march.

greenhouses .. does anyone know if they can be made from any wood or
plant materials found in north america? a light emitting fiber that
can be woven? nettle fiber? i've only seen greenhouses made from glass
& plastic, i'm not too fond of plastic...

qoute from Paul:
I'd answer no. As for permaculture, my understanding is that, as
developed by Holmgren and Mollison, it's more a sustainable,
integrated homestead philosophy than a system for practical home food
production. It takes money and years to develop. I don't know of any
actual demonstration models in this country. If there are a few, then
I'd have to ask what happened to all the other people who've completed
those high dollar permaculture seminars. Few of them actually
practice permaculture.