livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] polypropylene for seed saving?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>
  • To: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] polypropylene for seed saving?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:02:40 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Carrie, thanks for clarifying.

I sure missed that background.

I think it would be darned near impossible to encase
a corn crop in floating row cover, just by letting
it "ride" and "float" on top of the corn.

Floating row cover can be applied to early planted
sweet corn to protect from frost and promote a warm
growing environment and encourage early yields.

It is normally removed after a crop of sweet corn is
about one foot in height.

But, if you are totally into seed saving and willing
to go the extra mile..... you could indeed build a
rectangular structure that is 10' to 12' high, and
grow the corn within a pollen-excluding tunnel
covered with floating row cover, if expense is
not an issue.

There is a technique for growing seedless
cucumbers inside a screen house to keep bees
out, and those kinds of structures would double
for a pollen-free tunnel.

Q. Do you know Carl Barnes with CORNS, Inc. in
Western Okla., since you're involved with seed
saving.

Steve Diver
NW Arkansas