livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] geothermal heating and cooling

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Greg and April" <gregandapril@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] geothermal heating and cooling
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:00:42 -0700

Ok, I have had this vision of an earth sheltered greenhouse for some time. It sits between the house and barn ( that are also earth sheltered ), and connected by solar powered ( after all heat gain will be it's highest when the sun is out ) vents, ( and perhaps doorways ) to:

a) Make use of the CO2 given of by the animals.
b) Help with necessary heating and cooling.

I envision the greenhouse to be large enough to partition off and perhaps even grow dwarf fruit trees, and the area with the trees, can be partitioned off, and chickens and or other small animals are allowed to roam the area eating green mulch, during the summer, and as the food source dwindles, move them to a different area of the green house - sort of a indoor pasture rotation type of deal.

I envision this greenhouse built on a hill and terraced inside, to take advantage of the extra sun, and plants that thrive in the heat ( perhaps even tropical ), grow at the top, in the highest levels of the greenhouse. While plants that like cool temps, can be grown near the bottom of the greenhouse, and an aquaculture, set up providing fish at the bottom. If the water from the aquaculture set up is pumped to near the top of the green house and allowed to " cascade " down to the bottom, the water, will do a few things:

a) Provide a measure of cooling during part of the day as a heat sink, and warmth during the night as heat source.
b) Provide a summer heat sink and winter heat source.
c) Be a source of nutrients to water the plants with.
d) The solid fish waste can be added to the plants, raising the nutrient level of the soil in the green house.

I could go on, for some length, about the possibilities, but, I think that everyone here can see where I'm going.

Greg H.

----- Original Message ----- From: <bennett@frognet.net>