livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] apologies and a good book

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: James Lindstrom <jcrocket@alltel.net>
  • To: "A back-to-the-land online community for self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] apologies and a good book
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:24:41 -0400

Hello all--

I subscribed to this list a few months ago. I thought it might be an interesting place to find out how other folks are doing in their own efforts to live more sustainable and sensible lives. Myself--I live in SW Pennsylvania, although I'm originally from LA. long way from where I started, and I'm not at all sad to have found the place where I now live. I have about 30 wooded acres and a hundred and fifty year old log cabin we're in the process of remodeling. There were certainly some mighty big trees around here back then.

We support ourselves--my friend Rose and I--as part time college instructors, although we're been making inroads into other forms of home based income. I keep bees and sell honey at local fairs and festivals; Rose does beautiful cut glass work. I'm getting ready to make the big jump: dump the teaching and keep bees full time.

What are other people up to? Are you out there hacking the sod already or planning to make the move? No matter--if you're still in the plotting and planning stage, this might be a good forum to find out how the rest of us are faring, and to learn from our mistakes.

My own book recommendation: The New Pioneers. A well written study of back to the land types. I just pulled it off the shelf again today to remind myself--in the middle of putting in a window and installing a new floor, just why I got into this.

Jim Lindstrom
Oak Forest, PA