livingontheland - [Livingontheland] apologies and a good book

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] apologies and a good book
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:06:35 -0600

Hello all. I have to recommend Short Circuit by Richard Douthwaite. Just
started reading it online at
http://www.feasta.org/documents/shortcircuit/index.htm . He also authored The
Growth Illusion: How Economic Growth Enriched the Few, Impoverished the Many
and Endangered the Planet.

"Short Circuit (1996) gives dozens of examples of currency, banking, energy
and food production systems which communities can use to make themselves less
dependent on an increasingly unstable world economy. In 1998-9, he was a
consultant to an EU-funded project to establish experimental community
currencies in Scotland, Ireland, Amsterdam and Madrid. His report on these,
Barataria: A Community Exchange Network for the Third System was published in
book form in June 1999. His most recent book is The Ecology of Money
(October, 1999) which calls for different currencies for different purposes
and for changes in the way money is put into circulation" from
http://www.findhorn.org/events/conferences/home/profiles.html .

This list has somehow grown to 31 subscribers with no promotion and little
attention on my part. Regrettably busy with moving, our own organic gardening
in semi-arid New Mexico, and a couple other large free lists we run on other
subjects. My question is how to focus this list. Is the subject too broad? I
thought about focusing on southwest sustainability, but where are our current
subscribers located? What should we do?

Don't everybody talk at once ;-)

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com

--Henry David Thoreau

That is well said, replied Candide, but we must cultivate our garden.
--Voltaire [Francois-Marie Arouet] Candide