livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fwd: SW Solaradobe School newsletter November 20, 2002

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fwd: SW Solaradobe School newsletter November 20, 2002
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:13:36 -0700

*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

On 11/21/2002 at 9:48 AM Adobebuildernews@aol.com <Adobebuildernews@aol.com
wrote:

Southwest Solaradobe School Newsletter

November 21, 2002

1. Dates and places for Winter/Spring 2003 Classes
These classes are not yet developed on our web site www.adobebuilder.com.
We
are posting them here as your earliest notice for planning purposes. We
will
have them posted on the web site with more detail shortly before Christmas.

New Code/Drafting/Energy Calcs workshop, Albuquerque, NM. Feb. 1 and 2
(Saturday/Sunday). This class is designed for those who want to get a jump
on
the new, New Mexico IRC code for Earth walls, before it becomes law on May
1.
On Saturday and Sunday a.m., we will review what's new with the code
(adobe,
CEB, Rammed Earth), and how to draft for it. At the same time, we will
review
how to figure for Earth walls and Passive Solar using the Ue wall and Ue
glazing charts contained in the NM Energy Conservation Code. Good class
for
designers, do-it-yourselfers, and contractors who never did bother to
understand Effective-U factors. Multiple choice tests each day to make
sure
you got it right. Inside for two days (it's cold outside). Handouts, along
with dummy sample, based on hypothetical structure) ($222)

Tropical Adobe and Compressed Earth Block Class, Roatán, Bay Islands,
Honduras. Feb. 21,22,23 (Friday/Saturday/Sunday). How about Adobe,
Caribbean
style? We've been down to the island and are still working on the venue
for
this one, but the dates are confirmed. Some islanders have already pledged
attend. We know that those new to the island will want to spend time
checking
out the island, taking a water taxi down the beach for a drink or dinner,
maybe scuba diving off of Half Moon Bay or even visiting the Great Copan
Ruins on the mainland, so we're trying to figure out some "segments" that
you
can add on to the basic adobe class, as an option. We appreciate the
feedback
from those who have let us know of their interest, and yes, we are keeping
your note or letter on file. More newsletters coming on this one. Do you
have
a passport? (Registration $ not yet set).

Traditional Adobe and Compressed Earth Block Class, San Antonio, Texas,
Mar.
21,22,23 (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) A popular class for folks from around
Texas, who intend to build earth walls (stabilized or natural) and need a
good place to get on the learning curve. We work with A.E.C.T. of San
Antonio
for Hands-on, and to understand pressing machines. Otherwise, all you need
are pen and pad for practical notes during two days in a classroom
setting.
Camera suggested. Plans/handouts. ($333)

Traditional Stabilized Adobe Class for Hot Deserts, Tucson, Arizona, April
11,12,13 (Friday/Saturday, Sunday) We're finally back to Tucson for this
class, designed this year to also familiarize you with the new Pima
county/City of Tucson IRC, now in effect. Basically, we go through the
house-building process, foundation through roof, with cooling and the new
codes in mind. Plans/handouts. Two and one-half days in class, half-day
outside for Hands-on. Camera suggested. Location: Old Pueblo Adobe Co. in
north Tucson. ($333)

Adobe, Compressed Earth Block and Rammed Earth, Albuquerque, NM, May 2,3,4
(Friday/Saturday/Sunday) (Mother's day is on the 11th). The all-around
popular spring class for those who can't decide which (or which
combination)
to build as they approach an earth-wall project. We study all three,
foundations through roof and practice with all three on Hands-on day, held
at
New Mexico Earth Adobe yard. Otherwise, all you need are pen and pad for
practical notes during two days in a classroom setting. Camera suggested.
Plans/handouts. ($333)

----------------------------------

2. Cliff Sarrel's West Wing adobe practice opportunity
If you want some adobe practice during sunny weather over the holidays or
in
the New Year, consider working with Cliff at his old adobe site in North
Albuquerque. Cliff is basically an owner-builder, modifying his
80-year-old
adobe with a west wing that will add roughly 1600 sq. ft. to the place. He
will build with a 10" adobe wall downstairs, and some sort of foam panel
upstairs. There's about 75 linear feet of adobe that needs to get up to
bond
beam height. If you're interested, call Cliff at 505-343-1281 to make
arrangements. This is volunteer, and grads of SWSA are preferred.

---------------------------------------
3. Pressing Machines for sale-
- Adobe International Earth Press III- Hatz Diesel engine, very low hours,
$19,500. Phone Doug Jackson, Colorado Springs, CO. 719-495-7890.
- Adobe International Earth Press III- produces 3-4 blocks per minute
(12x4x8"). 16 hp gas engine. Fully automated $17,500. Call Jan Morzel in
Boulder, CO. 303-413-1711.
- 1990 Adobe International model. Has only been used on one home for 7500
blocks or less. Adobe International Earth Press IV. All hydraulics are
good,
and it runs on manual or automatic. Brick size is 12x4x8". Located in
South
Fork, Colorado.$15,000 OBO. Call Eric Cook or Lynnea Cook at 719-657-3970
or
719-580-5400.

4. Dan's Dilemma-
Dan Steward, an SWSA grad, is putting out the call from Northern
California:
Experienced Earthbuilding contractor needed for relocation to an area
where
demand exists but experienced Adobe or Rammed Earth builders do not. Dan
has
several homes in the hopper, with two to four that could begin this
winter,
and a rammed earth project slated for next summer (3000 sq. ft). He feels
there's enough work to keep a builder and crew busy for some time to come.
If
you have the credentials, why not visit beautiful Grass Valley and check
it
out? Contact Dan at Iam@infostations.com

5. Adobe Search
Looking for a small adobe to purchase and restore that can serve as both
home
and artist's studio. Must be structurally sound, but cosmetically in need
of
help. I particularly like desert areas, but near a metropolitan city.
Contact
Carol Putnam, POB 175, Deer, Arkansas 72628 or E-mail to:
thezoo@jasper.yournet.com

Joe Tibbets
http://www.adobebuilder.com
mailto: adobebuilder@juno.com

<A HREF="http://www.adobebuilder.com/contact.html"Adobe Builder
newsletter subscription</A
You have received this newsletter because you have subscribed to receive
it
at the adobebuilder.com site. If you choose to not receive any future
newsletters, you may unsubscribe by clicking on the above link. Once at
the
page, enter your email address and select the "unsubscribe" radio button.
When you hit "submit" you will automatically be unsubscribed to the list.

*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE ***********

  • [Livingontheland] Fwd: SW Solaradobe School newsletter November 20, 2002, Tradingpost, 11/21/2002