livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Growing Power Farms Spread In The Midwest

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Growing Power Farms Spread In The Midwest
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:07:36 -0700

Milwaukee: Growing Power Farms Spread In The Midwest

Some unlikely characters are emerging from the cities of the Midwest, and
they've got soil under their fingernails. Ben Calhoun reports the story of a
man who has dedicated his life to training urban farmers.

Will Allen has been farming all his life. But 10 years ago, he decided he
wanted to do something different. So he started 'Growing Power.' You'll find
Growing Power's Farm on a busy street on the north side of Milwaukee. It's in
the middle of a row of houses and for a farm it's pretty small.

Most days you'll also find Will Allen there. Today, Allen's giving a tour of
the place. He leads the group through Growing Power's four green houses.
There are rows of herbs, eggplants, compost heaps and boxes filled with
worms. ....

snipped from http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/6611

paul tradingpost@gilanet.com

--Henry David Thoreau

That is well said, replied Candide, but we must cultivate our garden.
--Voltaire [Francois-Marie Arouet] Candide

  • [Livingontheland] Growing Power Farms Spread In The Midwest, Tradingpost, 11/22/2002