labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Pears and Apples

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "joe calico" <jcalico@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Pears and Apples
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:26:10 -0400

Bert, I didn’t think anyone in the group was growing Asimina Triloba other than myself.  I’ve had one for about 15 years.  It’s about 15’ feet high.  As you know, these plants are dioecious so for many years it was producing maroon flowers but no fruit.  I finally got a few other varieties and grafted them onto the one tree.  Voila, I’ve got quite a few fruits this year.

Now to your point.  Pawpaws are known to sucker readily.  Whilst they have one very strong , deep tap root, they also have shallow lateral roots.  So they will naturally sucker.  This is particularly true if you dig under the tree canopy to plant flowers or perennials, say, and disturb the shallower roots.  Proof in fact is that I planted a few hostas under my tree this year and, sure enough, I have multiple suckers everywhere.

As to the question of ‘detaching’ suckers and planting them elsewhere, my experience is limited but results have almost always been negative.  A more appropriate approach to multiplying them is to sow sees in the fall (have got lots of experience here so if you need more info write to me).  There is much information to quench your appetite on this subject at various pawpaw web sites:

1.       The premier web site for this plant is Kent State University where much research has been going on for years now: http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/

2.       California Rare Fruit Growers Association  http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html

3.       Ohio Pawpaw Festival  http://www.pawpawfest.com/

4.       National Clonal Germplasma Repository   http://www.ars-grin.gov/ars/PacWest/Corvallis/ncgr/minor/asiinfo.html#vegetative

5.       Northern Nut grower Association  http://www.icserv.com/nnga/scion.htm

By the way, here are the pawpaw cultivars I have:

PAWPAW (asimina triloba)

Variety

Scion/Budwood donor status

Comments

Boula

yes

Select variety from a friend of Allen Cosnow

Pennsylvania Golden #1

yes

Officially recognized variety - Excellent select variety

Taylor

yes

Officially recognized variety - Select choice

Wells

yes

Officially recognized variety - Select choice

Joe's seedling

yes

Chance seedling.  Mid size.  Somewhat turpentine after-taste

Seclef

yes

Cosnow seedling.  Late season variety.

Lynn's Favorite

yes

Officially recognized variety - Scions from Wes Rice, Ponca City, Oklahoma

North Carolina - 1 (nc-1)

yes

Officially recognized variety - Scions from Wes Rice, Ponca City, Oklahoma

Rebecca's Gold

yes

Officially recognized variety - Scions from Wes Rice, Ponca City, Oklahoma

Sunflower

yes

Officially recognized variety - Scions from Wes Rice, Ponca City, Oklahoma

Taytwo

yes

Officially recognized variety - Scions from Wes Rice, Ponca City, Oklahoma

You want more?  Come back with questions.