labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] quince rootstock

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] quince rootstock
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:49:17 -0400

Hello Again

Joe B. – thanks for your pruning insight on the espalier trees. I like your idea of handling the regrowth.

As for quince rootstock, I purchased 8 pieces of quince A from Derry Walsh this spring, and it will now start to get difficult. Our source was John Traas, who has now retired. I’m letting it size up a bit till n ext spring, and then grafting it with quince and medlar. I’d rather use Old Home pear rootstock, since it is more winter hardy, but it will have to be sourced from the States as it is very limited in Canada – from what I learned when calling different nurseries.

Cheers, Bizmark.