labruscagrape - [OFEX] Results - Black currant cheese

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Results - Black currant cheese
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:51:56 -0400

Hi,

I made the black currant cheese recipe.... It tastes good, but a ton of waste.

"Black Currant Cheese---is delicious and is made by putting equal parts of stalked currants and loaf sugar into a pan; place over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved, then bring slowly to the boil, stirring all the time. Remove all scum and simmer for an hour, stirring often. Rub the fruit through a hair sieve, return the puree to the pan, and stir until it boils, then put it into small pots and cover like jam."

My equal parts was one cup of currants, one cup of sugar. The results was just a couple of tablespoons of the currant cheese.

It was much thicker than apple butter, more gooie. It may even crystalize upon cooling.

There is a lot of waste, or my sieve was too fine, or I reduced it too much. Much of it got caught up in the pan, and in the sieve. I must have done something wrong, for this amount of waste would not be tolerated in colonial times.

Possibly it would be better to start with juice tather than "stalked currants" and eliminate the sieve entirely. Juice is easy... Berries, a tablespoon )or two of water, low heat in a covered dutch oven, with a periodic mashing.

As the currant cheese cools it has more and more the consistency of a modern fruit roll up that kids eat.

Later,