labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Elderberry, plus quince and medlar

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Labruscagrape@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Elderberry, plus quince and medlar
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:16:32 +0000 GMT

Hi Margie
Thanks for the reminder about the quince. My memory of it was not lost - it
was just misplaced. :-)
The same thing happens with my car keys from time to time.
Aside from wanting to collect a grouping of quince and elderberry - I am also
trying to get myself out of a corner. I have scionwood for several varieties
of medlar and maybe two quince from a source in BC. The quince A rootstock I
purchased is not doing well. Our fault - not the supplier. I have tried
grafting the medlar both chip and tongue / whip onto the quince rootstock.
Nothing so far. I have. Read from a few sources that you can graft medlar
onto pear, saskatoon, hawthorne, quince and medlar. Quince you can graft onto
quince and pear. So, I am going to give medlar a try on pear, saskatoon and
some of the recessitated quince rootstock. The quince I will try on the pear.
Any other advice or suggestions?
Also, do you have any idea of medlar hardiness to our climate? Is there any
medlar at Harrow?

Cheers. Bizmark.

Sent via BlackBerry on the Bell Mobility network