labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Fw: Grafting, rootstock, black currants, Christian Homesteading Orchard, peach pits

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Fw: Grafting, rootstock, black currants, Christian Homesteading Orchard, peach pits
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:21:05 -0500

Hello All,

I have a few topics to cover, so please excuse the multiple listings in the
subject line.

Apple Rootstock - I am about to place an order for M.26 rootstock, likely
delivered early April. Maybe even a small quantity of P.22, as well. If
anyone needs either, please feel free to give me a shout.

If anyone knows where to find, locally, some quince rootstock, please let me
know - since I'm in the market for about 20 pieces. John Traas, out west,
has let me know that his quince rootstock, has not rooted this year. I have
perry pears and medlar ( hopefully ) scionwood that need a place to be
grafted.

Apple grafting - I am sharpening the grafting knives, getting ready for a
try at bench grafting this spring. Did you know that if you cannot find
honing oil - that WD40 will do in a pinch. It's apparently thin enough to
act as a reasonable replacement. Amazing what the hunters will share with
you. Anyway, back on track - if there's any other apples wanted for
grafting, besides Richelieu for Tom, please let me know. I'm sending Margie
my list this week, and will add your varieties. ( Hi Margie! )Speaking of
apple varieties, the lead that Joe shared with us was quite productive.
( Thanks, Joe! ) I have collected scionwood from Bree Eagle, at the Bright's
Farm listed on the Seed Saver's Exchange page, adding another 20 - 22 new
varieties to our collection. Some of the Scionwood is quite sparse, but most
is really decent and appears workable. Bree is Charlie's daughter, and is
taking up the reins of managing the orchard. There's two varieties, that if
successful, will qualify as my smallest grafted buds, yet. We're talking 1/8
inch scionwood with the buds even smaller. I think a veneer graft will be
called for, since cambium contact will prove too difficult with a bud graft.
I do love a challenge.

I'm off to the States for most of the second and third week of March,
visiting friends in Vermont and New York. Has anyone visited the Christian
Homesteading Movement orchard? I understand that they have hundreds of
varieties, so it's a great chance to look at the trees and their growing
patterns for tons of different apple varieties. I'm going to write to the
manager, since they don't have a telephone, but thought to ask about the
place here on the list. Information about other orchards or small fruit
growers to visit would also be welcome.

Speaking of small fruit, I'd love to take up offers made earlier in the year
about black currant donations. Especially, Crandall, either of the "Ben's",
and maybe Bert's un-named, but great tasting variety. Sorry to be rather
vague, but we upgraded computers and lost bunches of files in the transfer.
I managed to not save about two months worth of emails when saving files
onto cd's or discs.

I also have a peach related question. Do peach varieties come true from
propagating the pit? I have been trying to find scionwood, or actual trees,
of the new Saturn peach, that we've so enjoyed the last few summers. It's
the small, flat, peach that's shaped like a donut. Some people even call it
the donut peach - but the trade name is Saturn. If it's possible, is it
difficult?

Back to grafting and a question for Tom - how did your inarching graft work?
Were you successful in saving your tree?

One final query - any experience out there in breeding new apple varieties.
Special techniques for pollen gathering, transfer, storage and guarding the
female or pollen receiving blossoms from further pollination by someone
other than the "designated" partner? ( There's a cartoon about an apple
blossom chaperone in this somewhere. )

That's all for now. Hope everyone is weathering these winter temperatures
safely and without orchard, vineyard and small fruit damage. Gosh that wind
is biting!

Cheers, Bizmark.