labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Black currants & 2005 fruits

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Black currants & 2005 fruits
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:13:08 -0500

Hello Biz,

You could just drink the Ribena straight, without diluting it. It will be strong, but taste better than Buckleys.

Funny you should ask your question at this particular moment. I was just reading a doctorial thesis on the topic.

===
Flavonols and Phenolic Acids in Berries and Berry Products
Kuopio University - Sari Häkkinen
http://www.uku.fi/vaitokset/2000/shakkinen.PDF

(doctoral thesis)
The purpose of this thesis was to identify and quantify the non-anthocyanin phenolic compounds in Finnish berries. The compounds of interest were kaempferol, quercetin and myricetin (flavonols); p-coumaric, caffeic and ferulic acids (hydroxycinnamic acids); p-hydroxybenzoic, gallic and ellagic acids (hydroxybenzoic acids). These compounds were selected because of their proposed health-promoting effects as antioxidants and anticarcinogens.
===

Other research shows that these same fruits have antiviral and antibacterial actions.

To cut to the chase of her thesis I attached her chart from page 55, as to how various berries stack up.

You can buy many fruit "extracts" in health food stores. Use the chart as your guide.

Later,

Checked by AVG Free Edition.