labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Black currants & 2005 fruits

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Black currants & 2005 fruits
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 11:23:40 -0500

Hey Tom,

I am s-l-o-w-l-y working back through my emails, and read your nafex posting about the black currant anti-viral properties. I had such great luck with your black currant suggestion, combined with cold fx, to rid myself of that horrible cold/flu thing last September. Here's the $64 question - do you know where one can purchase black currant concentrate, instead of consuming massive amounts of Ribena? I'm attempting to formulate a preventative kind of programme.

FYI - a friend from my Michigan quilt group takes cherry concentrate every day for arthritis. She buys a huge jug every year, north of Traverse Ciy, MI, when we get together end of September. She swears by it's preventative properties. Talk about a sweet jolt - from tart cherry concentrate. That area is the tart cherry capital of the northeast - massive orchards everywhere.

Have just spent the last handful of weekends putting the orchard to bed for the winter. Secured tree guards, had the guys spray the white latex / bitter taste paint, and Plantskydd should go on next week when we get a dry day. Actually got it together early in October and tied plastic ribbon onto all the different branches selected for scionwood. It's so much easier when you pre-select - so winter scionwood pruning goes really fast. Now, writing the variety name on the side of the selected branches with a sharpie pen would make it even faster - and nicer in warmer temps. ( 20-20 hindsight strikes again! ) This late warmer weather has also bunged things up for fall transplanting - since weekends have been very busy.

The warmer weather did have one good side effect - since the raspberry bushes produced wonderful crops of late berries. The taste this year was spectacular. Same with the apples.

How did the rest of you fare with other fruits - with taste and crop outcomes? Would love to hear how others are winding down - or advance prepping for next year.

Cheers, Bizmark