labruscagrape - Re: [LabruscaGrape] Yeasts

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Exploring Labrusca grapes and making better wine with them." <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [LabruscaGrape] Yeasts
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:54:38 -0400

Paul Bulas wrote:
Tom,

So far I have also used only the Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
(Saccharomyces bayanus) variety.  For Niagara, I think this
is ideal.  For Concord, in future I plan to use the Lalvin
71B (malic-acid-reducing) variety.

Cheers
Paul

Here is a brief description of the yeast I was looking at;
Cotes De Blanc Red Star yeast formerly Epernay 2, is a slow fermenting yeast that enhances fruit quality. It tends to slow down or stick and is a good choice if you want a fruity wine with a residual sugar. Avoid if you want a dry finish.
And the Lalvin 71B you mention;
71B-1122 Lalvin yeast For fruity aromatic, "vin noveau" concentrates
You have mentioned that you have been working on dry labrusca, but I am looking for residual sugar.

The old Italian recipe I am working with calls for only 11-12% alcohol, and the addition of 1.5 teaspoons of sugar per bottle when bottling.  So having residual sugar is not a problem.

Later,

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 5b