labruscagrape - [LabruscaGrape] Concord wine - Adj. SG

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [LabruscaGrape] Concord wine - Adj. SG
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:06:04 -0500

Hello All,

Just bottled some Concord wine that I started on January 17th.

It produced a nice dry wine, no cotton candy aroma and I am looking
forward to see how it matures.

I did add some acid blend, and adjusted the SG from 1.064 to 1.084.
Otherwise, it was just very basic wine making.

My only issue is that some of my wines are difficult to syphon because
of trapped CO2 coming out of solution during syphoning. It is my own
fault as I do not use standard air-traps. Instead of a bubbling
air-trap I simply use a piece of plastic wrap with an elastic, during
primary and secondary fermentation. This holds back some pressure in
the carboy, and all the CO2 does not come out of solution during
fermentation.

Adjusting SG....

Does anyone use the technique of slowly adding sugar to a must over
days/weeks when adjusting SG? I just read a piece that suggests you
take the initial SG and determine how much sugar is needed in total to
reach your desired SG, then add small amounts of the sugar over
days/weeks to the must.

The theory is that by doing an initial SG adjustment for the total
amount provides too rich a diet for the yeast, and a too active
fermentation. By slowly adding sugar over time you create a more
natural environment for the yeast.

Anyone do this?

Later,
Tom