internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Copyright violation notification service?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Copyright violation notification service?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:11:58 -0500

If they're simply copying your content, I would suggest sending them
and their ISP a DMCA Takedown Notice. ISPs are then required to
take down the content immediately and keep it down for a certain
period of time (10 days, maybe?) while the legal issues are worked
out. You do have to affirm in the takedown notice that you are indeed
the copyright holder (which shouldn't be a problem in this case).
Note, however, that they can also file a counter notice but to do
so they have to claim to hold the copyright on the material. If they
do that, then I think your main option may be to sue. :-(

But, that's probably your best bet.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Tanner