internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] how far have you extended Wifi networks?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] how far have you extended Wifi networks?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:17:17 -0400

Might I suggest a Powerline bridge? You buy two adapters, plug 'em in at either end, and boom you've got a bridge.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=294&name=Powerline-Networking

As the Wikipedia entry notes, there is a chance that both your school and the store won't be able to talk to each other. If your chosen outlets don't share a transformer (as well as one phase of that transformer), you won't be able to establish a bridge:

"In residences and small businesses with Split phase wiring (common in North America), roughly half the 120-volt outlets in the building will be on each hot phase, and HomePlug signals may or may not be able to get from one side to the other. If one is unlucky, this may prevent some rooms from being connected via HomePlug."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_Powerline_Alliance

Still, it a solution that's easy, inexpensive, reliable, and worth a try.

Here are my blog posts regarding HomePlug:
http://www.markturner.net/index.php?s=homeplug

Cheers!
Mark
www.markturner.net

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
I've been tasked with getting wifi into our new school (The Riverrock School on the Haw), and on a limited budget everyone is asking me why we can't just use the wifi signal from the Saxapahaw General Store which is in the same building