internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] how far have you extended Wifi networks?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] how far have you extended Wifi networks?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:16:40 -0400

On Sep 3, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:

on Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 01:51:08PM -0400, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
I've been tasked with getting wifi into our new school (The Riverrock
School on the Haw), and on a limited budget everyone is asking me why we
can't just use the wifi signal from the Saxapahaw General Store which is
in the same building given we have permission from the store owners. The
problem is this is an old textile mill, with really thick walls and floors,
and we're 300 feet at least from the store directly through many walls and
two floors. Even if I could convince the people responsible for the rooms
between us to put in wifi repeaters, we'd still have to get the signal
through two floors and several walls, and I can't imagine that would work
well.

Brick didn't seem to stop the wifi signal back when we were at the
offices at Brickhaven, FWIW. Have you tried it?

The wifi signal doesn't even cover the entire general store let alone make it through the wall next door. The store owner is amenable to upgrading his hardware, which would be the first place to start.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G.K. Chesterton