internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Thinking about a new PC and moving to Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Thinking about a new PC and moving to Linux
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:25:17 -0400

Lyman Green wrote:
I've been looking at maybe building a new PC.

Along with that, I am really not happy with the idea of spending about 400-500 bucks for Vista Ultimate and Microsoft Office. So I'm thinking it might be time for me to move to Linux and an open source solution for my word processing, etc.

Hi Lyman,

Just in case you're interested, I have a great motherboard that you could use. It's an ASUS M2N-E SLI board based on the nvidia nForce 500 SLI chipset.

You can read about it here:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813131096

It works great with Linux, I had the original one running Ubuntu Gutsy with no problems. Combined with a dual core Athlon 64 X2 and a good video card, it will run current OpenGL and DirectX games (e.g. Crysis) very well.

It's still sealed, it was a warranty replacement. I bought the original new in November for $115, will sell this one for $50.

Scott C.