internetworkers - [internetworkers] Thinking about a new PC and moving to Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Thinking about a new PC and moving to Linux
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:37:46 -0400

I've been looking at maybe building a new PC.

Along with that, I am really not happy with the idea of spending about 400-500 bucks for Vista Ultimate and Microsoft Office.  So I'm thinking it might be time for me to move to Linux and an open source solution for my word processing, etc.

I have only 1 real requirement for this system: it must play World of Warcraft, and it must play it well.  It has to handle Burning Crusade, and also the upcoming Wrath of the Lich King.

I assume all the other things I do can be covered by a Linux machine (email, surfing the web, listening to MP3's, maybe a few other things I can't think of right now).
I did some research and it looks like Cedega made by Transgaming is a product to allow Windows gaming on Linux.  That looks to be a possible solution for me to be able to continue to play World of Warcraft on a Linux machine.

I am concerned about buying hardware that is supported by Linux - I did some quick research and it looks like Nvidia (my preferred vendor for video cards) is fairly well supported by Linux.

So just throwing this out there, and wondering if anyone has any input.  Is there a particular distribution anyone would suggest?  Some other info about running games (specifically World of Warcraft but I suppose it is possible some day there will be some other rpg/mmorpg I want to play...) or hardware I should avoid?

I've looked at a lot of suggestions on Tom's Hardware (they recently did a system builder marathon with some good suggestions on mobos, graphic cards, and assorted other hardware) so I sort of know what I want in general but I'm really thinking about being sure to buy hardware that works/is supported by Linux.

I've not actually ever done more than a few tests years ago (I'm thinking it was back 7 or 8 years ago) building Linux machines but I'm able to follow instructions so I don't anticipate this being impossible, plus I will have a still working WinXP desktop to fall back on if I have to.

Thanks in advice for any feedback!

Lyman
--
I'm Boba, the Fett