internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Learning about HVAC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: DonBartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Learning about HVAC
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:04:31 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/2007 10:43:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tkarches AT gmail.com writes:

I'm still decoding the document that he left with my wife...I don't
know much more now than when I started. I do have a pile of brochures
for $3000 whole house dehumidifiers, $1400 magic UV sterilizing
"certified space technology" lamps, $1100 filtration systems and $700
to clean my ducts. And thats before we even price the air conditioning
unit. Something smells fishy (and I don't think that there are fish in
my ducts...)
This company is offering upgrades which several of my clients have also asked for. HVAC = Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning. HVAC is somewhat of a soft science and so you need to know what level of performance you want and can afford. The issues are involved. An air conditioner acts as a dehumidifier. You probably don't need that unless you have special needs. The magic UV sterilizing / germ killing lamps are an excellent addition. I have them. They will become more common as the changes to the building codes come it. They also can rot out your flexible ducts so placement and or a special transition is an issue. If you have kids in school these can save you several trips to the Doctor. I have installed them for several people. A single installation point can run ~ $1000. Nice HEPA filters can cost $1000 and the replacement filter elements are $25 -$100. I have these as well, because I thought the kids had allergies.  Turns out not to be the case so I use the better class normal filter, not the HEPA grade.  Most ducting leaks. If your duct runs under the house, you are sucking musty under house air in to your house and repalcing it with  nice conditioned air .  I would take a splunking trip under your house to check this out. Seal leaks with good quality "duct" tape and mastic. It will make a world of difference.  Duct cleaning is usually a waste of money. You can do the job yourself. Its better to get your dusts sealed.

Don B