internetworkers - [internetworkers] Learning about HVAC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tom Karches" <tkarches AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Learning about HVAC
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:43:36 -0400

Well, I recently confronted and endured the racket that is
prescription glasses. Now I move onto bigger things : HVAC (heating
and AC....don't know what the V is)

I had a guy from a local HVAC outfit come out to "check" my
AC/Furnace. I had not really done much with it since we moved in 10
years ago.

I knew there were some problems....the evaporator under the house is
rusted and leaking. And I've got some vent leakage. It amazes me that
the AC still works frankly. I wanted someone else to look at it.

I'm still decoding the document that he left with my wife...I don't
know much more now than when I started. I do have a pile of brochures
for $3000 whole house dehumidifiers, $1400 magic UV sterilizing
"certified space technology" lamps, $1100 filtration systems and $700
to clean my ducts. And thats before we even price the air conditioning
unit. Something smells fishy (and I don't think that there are fish in
my ducts...)

Any good online resources to learn about this? Local HVAC installers
that you have had good experiences with, etc? I want to understand
what I'm getting into.

Thanks,
Tom
--