internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Local Gov't Fair Competition Act.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Local Gov't Fair Competition Act.
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:14:56 -0400

On 7/14/07, Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:

Most of the people in local government that I've known have roughly
the technical sophistication of a head of cabbage, and wouldn't know
a wireless network from a bowling ball.

And that differs from the people in the state and federal government
how, pray tell?

In general yes. However, one (maybe the only) valid purpose of
higher levels of government is to protect individuals from
having their rights violated by the lower levels. The original
version of the Local Gov't Fair Competition Act was actually
better in this regard, since it gave the local citizens a vote
on whether or not to go ahead with plans of this nature.

What?!? Stop the presses! Phillip advocates more government
at a higher level! Who are you, and what have you do with
our libertarian friend? :-)

Seriously, though, how exactly does having more network
choices violate local citizens rights? If they want to create
their own network, let them do it. (And, cut the crap about
not making those who don't want it not pay for it. You absolutely
cannot get away from that in a representative government
and to even consider it is intellectually dishonest.)

Of course this means that if there isn't enough demand for said service
in a given area to run a business at a "break-even" level then Joe
Sixpack won't be subsidizing service for Bob Two-liter through tax
dollars. But that's the real choice and that's the way things should
be. It would be immoral to force Joe to subsidize things for Bob
against his will.

Sigh. I guess it was too much to hope for. Phillip, your SUV
tears up the road much more than my station wagon. Why then,
do I pay just as much tax as you do to support the roads? (Yes,
I realize you'll pay more gas tax, put that's only a fraction.) Why
are you not paying your fare share?

Also, Phillip, I know you've taken classes at Wake Technical
college. How do you justify going to a state supported school
where people's tax dollars pay for you to get an education?
Isn't that immoral too?

So, until you start paying your entire way, please don't come
back with the arguments that taxes are immoral.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace