internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Anyone programming in Lua?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Anyone programming in Lua?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:55:46 -0500

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

I was surprised to read that Lightroom, one of the best designed programs I've ever used, was written in Lua, which I'd never heard of. Its scripted, but doesn't seem to have the complexity and overhead of Java or .NET. I wouldn't have taken much notice, except that Adobe chose it for their ground-breaking Lightroom program, which is not only cross-platform, but also sports good performance, and is both beautiful and functional.

http://www.lua.org/
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

I went to the lua site. The logo has "the programming language"
which immediately brought visions of APL from the class I took
about 1982 at State. It was sort of a cross between decyphering
Egyptian glyphs and tatoo art, but it seemed reasonable at the
time. They swore that you could write one line of code to replace
a kloc of PL-1 or Pascal. APL evangelists were quite scary.

I really need to try to recall what happened during those years
someday. There may have been something important that I should
remember. Then again, maybe not.

I guess that is what retirement is for. Oh joy, another programming
language to learn! Enjoy, Roger

--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.